Recommended Elements: Color Palette
The two official colors of the University of Oregon are green and yellow.
RGB: R0 G79 B39
RGB: R255 G204 B0
There are no restrictions on additional colors to use, as long as they are complementary and subordinate to green and yellow. Other greens and yellows are acceptable as complementary colors but should not be close in value to the official colors. Based on competitors’ school colors, it is strongly recommended that site designers avoid using orange and purple as standalone colors. Because they appear to represent other institutions, designers also are advised to avoid the following color combinations:
- Orange and black (Oregon State University, Idaho State University)
- Black and yellow-gold (University of Colorado)
- Blue and yellow-gold (University of California at Berkeley, University of California at Los Angeles)
- Burgundy and yellow-gold (Arizona State University)
- Orange and blue (Boise State University)
- Purple and white (University of Washington)
- Red and white (Stanford University, Western Oregon University)
- Red and navy (University of Arizona)
- Red and yellow-gold (University of Southern California)
- Red and black (Southern Oregon University)
- Red and gray (Washington State University)
- Silver and gold (University of Idaho)
In addition, dark text on a light background is recommended for better contrast and legibility.
Accessibility recommendation: Web pages should be designed so that all information conveyed with color is also available without color, for example, from context or markup.